UCOR is committed to sustainable practices and being responsible stewards of the environment. This commitment captures the intent of UCOR’s environmental policy, which is in turn the foundation for all other elements of its Environmental Management System (EMS). UCOR’s corporate environmental policy states:
Committed to Environmental Compliance and Protection Through Implementation of an Environmental Management System
“UCOR LLC is committed to incorporating sound environmental management, protection, sustainability, and justice considerations in all its business decisions, work processes, and activities that are part of our U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Contract. The environmental policy provides a framework for setting environmental objectives and includes a commitment to continually improve the environmental performance of our operations. Our commitment to protect and sustain human, natural, and cultural resources is inherent in our mission to complete environmental cleanup safely with reduced risks to the public, workers and the environment.
UCOR implements an Environmental Management System (EMS) as part of its existing Integrated Safety Management System. Using a graded approach appropriate for a closure and remediation contract, the EMS incorporates performance goals and provides a unified strategy for the management and protection of natural resources, the control and attenuation of risks, the prevention of pollution, the acquisition of sustainable products and services, and the establishment and attainment of all environmental, safety and health requirements. UCOR works continuously to improve our EMS and environmental performance and to communicate and reinforce this policy to our internal and external stakeholders.”
In order to achieve this, UCOR’s EMS conforms to the ISO 14001:2004 standard and the environmental policy adheres to the following principles:
- Leadership Commitment – Integrate responsible environmental practices into project operations.
- Environmental Compliance and Protection – Comply with all environmental regulations and standards.
- Sustainable Environmental Stewardship – Minimize the impacts on the environment through a combination of source reduction, recycling and reuse, sound waste management practices and pollution prevention.
- Partner/Stakeholder Involvement – Maintain partnerships through effective two-way communications with our customer and other stakeholders.
Visit POL-UCOR-007, Environmental Management and Protection Policy, to view UCOR’s complete policy. For more details related to UCOR’s environmental performance and compliance status, visit the latest version of the Oak Ridge Reservation Annual Site Environmental Report.
Significant Environmental Aspects
- Air emissions
- Storm water discharges
- Waste generation
- Releases to the facilities/land/soil/surface water
- Releases to or pumping of groundwater
- Pollution prevention/waste minimization
- Sanitary wastewater discharges
- Wastewater discharges
Other Environmental Aspects
- Cultural/historic preservation
- Wildlife/habitat/endangered species
- Energy/fuel use
- Aquatic resource alteration
- Land use changes
- Water use
- Environmental noise